The SXU Crest
The Crest of St. Xavier's University, Kolkata, is modeled on Jassu Crest of the College Patron Saint Francis Xavier's family. It has been adapted to local surroundings, suggestive of a native flavour of a University in India. The escutcheon in white and blue contains a tiger and a palm tree, overlooked by a silver crescent moon, which symbolizes the palacio of Xavier. The charge on the Dexter, HIS, bespeaks a College of the Society of Jesus (Iesus Hominum Salvator - Jesus, Savior of Human Family). The checky argent and sable in the base recall the spirit of the Xaverian family. A garter bearing the words "St. Xavier's University, Kolkata", encircles the escutcheon and it is surmounted by a Cross emanating holy rays. A scroll passes underneath inscribed with the words Nihil Ultra (Nothing Beyond), the motto of the University. The Crest signifies dignity, courage, quiet gleam and the call of the beyond - the quest persists towards higher endeavour.
Profile of the University
|Name of the University||ST. XAVIER'S UNIVERSITY, KOLKATA
WEST BENGAL, INDIA
Premises No.-IIIB-1, Plot No.- IIIB/1,
Action Area IIIB, P.S. New Town
Kolkata-700 160, India
|Vice-Chancellor||Rev. Fr. (Dr.) J. Felix Raj, S.J|
|Registrar||Prof. Ashis Mitra|
|Status of the University||Private|
|Type of University||Co-education|
B.Com. (Bachelor of Commerce)
|Year of Establishment||January 16, 2017|
|Location of the University||Urban|
|Area of the campus (in acres)||16.64 Acres|
|View Location Map|
|St. Xavier's University bus routes|
Dates to Remember
|31 July 2011||The St. Xavier's College Calcutta Alumni Association, under the leadership of its President, Rev. Fr. J. Felix Raj, SJ, envisaged SXC Vision 2020 which included the establishment of St. Xavier's University, Kolkata.|
|20 January 2012||At the Convocation Ceremony of the College, the Hon'ble Chief Minister, Mamata Banerjee's invitation to St. Xavier's College to become a University. The Principal, Fr. J. Felix Raj S.J. officially conferred on her the status of 'the first associate member' of the St. Xavier's College Calcutta Alumni Association.|
|17 March 2012||Fr. Principal constituted a 'Think Tank' Committee on February 22, 2012 to
prepare a DPR for
St. Xavier's University. The first meeting was held on March 17, 2012.
The members of the 'Think Tank' were as follows:
|05 August 2013||The Rajarhat land was purchased from the Government.|
|30 August 2013||Receipt and possession of Rajarhat land from WBHIDCO.|
|27 December 2013||The Chief Minister of West Bengal Mamata Banerjee laid the foundation stone,
blessed by His
Grace Archbishop Thomas D'Souza in the presence of Provincial, Fr. Jeyaraj
Principal, Fr. J. Felix Raj, SJ, Rector, Fr. Dominic Savio, SJ and many
|15 December 2016||St. Xavier's University Kolkata Act was unanimously passed in the West Bengal Assembly.|
|16 January 2017||The Act was assented by the Hon'ble Governor of West Bengal, Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi.|
|08 February 2017||The West Bengal Government notified 8th February 2017 as the date of effect
for which the
provisions of the St. Xavier's University Kolkata Act 2016 came into force.
|15 February 2017||The Hon'ble Chancellor of St. Xavier's University, Rev. Fr. Jeyaraj
Veluswamy, SJ appointed
Fr. Felix Raj S.J. as the first Vice Chancellor and Prof. Ashis Mitra as the first Registrar of the
|16 February 2017||Fr. J. Felix Raj S.J. took over the wings of the University with immediate effect.|
Some Highlights of St. Xavier's University, Kolkata Act 2016
- St. Xavier's University, Kolkata may have constituent Colleges situated within the territory of West Bengal established and administered by the Jesuits (Chapter II, No. 3.3).
- The Hon'ble Governor of the state of West Bengal will be the Visitor of the University (Chapter II, No. 11.1).
- Rev. Fr. Provincial, the President of the sponsoring Trust (St. Xavier's College Kolkata Educational Trust) will be the Ex-officio Chancellor of the University (Chapter II, No. 12.1).
- The Vice Chancellor shall be a Jesuit (Chapter II, No. 14:4).
- The University will have a Governing Board with 36 members (ex-officio, nominated and representatives of teachers and support staff) and the Governing Body members shall hold office for a period of four years (Chapter III, No.:27:1).
- The University will have an Executive Council with 13 members (Chapter III, No. 30:1).
- The other authorities of the University shall include the Academic Council, the Faculty Council, the Board of Studies and the Finance Committee (Chapter III, No. 26).