The SXU Crest
The Crest of St. Xavier's University, Kolkata, is modeled on Jassu Crest of the College Patron Saint Francis Xavier's family. It has been adapted to local surroundings, suggestive of a native flavour of a University in India. The escutcheon in white and blue contains a tiger and a palm tree, overlooked by a silver crescent moon, which symbolizes the palacio of Xavier. The charge on the Dexter, HIS, bespeaks a College of the Society of Jesus (Iesus Hominum Salvator - Jesus, Savior of Human Family). The checky argent and sable in the base recall the spirit of the Xaverian family. A garter bearing the words "St. Xavier's University, Kolkata", encircles the escutcheon and it is surmounted by a Cross emanating holy rays. A scroll passes underneath inscribed with the words Nihil Ultra (Nothing Beyond), the motto of the University. The Crest signifies dignity, courage, quiet gleam and the call of the beyond - the quest persists towards higher endeavour.
Profile of the University
|Name of the University||ST. XAVIER'S UNIVERSITY, KOLKATA
WEST BENGAL, INDIA
Premises No.-IIIB-1, Plot No.- IIIB/1,
Action Area IIIB, P.S. New Town
Kolkata-700 160, India
|Vice-Chancellor||Rev. Fr. (Dr.) J. Felix Raj, S.J|
|Registrar||Prof. Ashis Mitra|
|Status of the University||Private|
|Type of University||Co-education|
B.Com. (Bachelor of Commerce)
|Year of Establishment||January 16, 2017|
|Location of the University||Urban|
|Area of the campus (in acres)||16.64 Acres|
|View Location Map|
|St. Xavier's University bus routes|
Dates to Remember
|31 July 2011||The St. Xavier's College Calcutta Alumni Association, under the leadership of its President, Rev. Fr. J. Felix Raj, SJ, envisaged SXC Vision 2020 which included the establishment of St. Xavier's University, Kolkata.|
|20 January 2012||At the Convocation Ceremony of the College, the Hon'ble Chief Minister, Mamata Banerjee's invitation to St. Xavier's College to become a University. The Principal, Fr. J. Felix Raj S.J. officially conferred on her the status of 'the first associate member' of the St. Xavier's College Calcutta Alumni Association.|
|17 March 2012||Fr. Principal constituted a 'Think Tank' Committee on February 22, 2012 to
prepare a DPR for
St. Xavier's University. The first meeting was held on March 17, 2012.
The members of the 'Think Tank' were as follows:
|05 August 2013||The Rajarhat land was purchased from the Government.|
|30 August 2013||Receipt and possession of Rajarhat land from WBHIDCO.|
|27 December 2013||The Chief Minister of West Bengal Mamata Banerjee laid the foundation stone,
blessed by His
Grace Archbishop Thomas D'Souza in the presence of Provincial, Fr. Jeyaraj
Principal, Fr. J. Felix Raj, SJ, Rector, Fr. Dominic Savio, SJ and many
|15 December 2016||St. Xavier's University Kolkata Act was unanimously passed in the West Bengal Assembly.|
|16 January 2017||The Act was assented by the Hon'ble Governor of West Bengal, Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi.|
|08 February 2017||The West Bengal Government notified 8th February 2017 as the date of effect
for which the
provisions of the St. Xavier's University Kolkata Act 2016 came into force.
|15 February 2017||The Hon'ble Chancellor of St. Xavier's University, Rev. Fr. Jeyaraj
Veluswamy, SJ appointed
Fr. Felix Raj S.J. as the first Vice Chancellor and Prof. Ashis Mitra as the first Registrar of the
|16 February 2017||Fr. J. Felix Raj S.J. took over the wings of the University with immediate effect.|
Some Highlights of St. Xavier's University, Kolkata Act 2016
- St. Xavier's University, Kolkata may have constituent Colleges situated within the territory of West Bengal established and administered by the Jesuits (Chapter II, No. 3.3).
- The Hon'ble Governor of the state of West Bengal will be the Visitor of the University (Chapter II, No. 11.1).
- Rev. Fr. Provincial, the President of the sponsoring Trust (St. Xavier's College Kolkata Educational Trust) will be the Ex-officio Chancellor of the University (Chapter II, No. 12.1).
- The Vice Chancellor shall be a Jesuit (Chapter II, No. 14:4).
- The University will have a Governing Board with 36 members (ex-officio, nominated and representatives of teachers and support staff) and the Governing Body members shall hold office for a period of four years (Chapter III, No.:27:1).
- The University will have an Executive Council with 13 members (Chapter III, No. 30:1).
- The other authorities of the University shall include the Academic Council, the Faculty Council, the Board of Studies and the Finance Committee (Chapter III, No. 26).
Message from Vice-chancellor
Rev. (Dr.) J. Felix Raj, S.J.
The seed of a University has been embedded in St. Xavier's College since its inception in 1860. History reveals that the College was in a mode of expansion in many ways. The hallmark of the College, as stated in the almanacs of 1880 and onwards, observes that 'the course of study embraces all subjects and transcends the standards of post-graduation.'
Again the Rector's Report of 1906 refers to an inspection by a body of members appointed by the Senate of the Calcutta University - the observations made by the members regard St. Xavier's with the ability of expansion into further spheres of education, appreciating the prospect and proposal of upgradation into the status of a University.
In January 2012, when the Hon'ble Chief Minister of West Bengal, Mamata Banerjee was the Chief Guest for the occasion of Convocation, she invited St. Xavier's College to be upgraded to the status of a University. And we could hear the ancient voice of history beckoning us.
Subsequently, I, as the Principal of the College appointed a committee to prepare a DPR (Detailed Project Report). The committee had many meetings and prepared a draft of the St. Xavier's University, Kolkata Bill 2016. We had a number of meetings with the Higher Education Department of the State Government to take this proposal forward.
With the support of the Alumni Association, St. Xavier's College began 'Vision 2020' project. The Alumni Association and some individual alumni whole-heartedly and actively participated in this 'Vision 2020.' It has been a hard work and our perseverance has today, by the blessings of the Almighty, borne fruit. St. Xavier's University Kolkata has come into effect.
I express my gratitude to the Government of West Bengal and the West Bengal Assembly for having passed the St. Xavier's University Kolkata Bill unanimously on the 15th of December, 2016.
I thank the Hon'ble Governor of West Bengal, Shri Keshari Nath Tripathi for giving his assent to the Bill on 16th January 2017.
I express my thankfulness to the Department of Higher Education of West Bengal, particularly to Dr. Partha Chatterjee, the Hon'ble Minister in Charge of Higher Education and Shri Vivek Kumar, Principal Secretary of the Department of Higher Education for their support and encouragement in making this 'Xaverian Dream' a Reality.
We plan to inaugurate the University campus at Rajarhat and the first academic session on the 8th of July 2017.
The Hon'ble Chancellor of St. Xavier's University Kolkata, Rev. Fr. Jeyaraj Veluswamy S.J., has appointed Rev. Dr. John Felix Raj S.J. as the first Vice Chancellor and Prof. Ashis Mitra as the Registrar of the University.
The Vice Chancellor has taken up the initial preparation of forming the Governing Board and appointing committees for the formulation of the statutes, rules and regulations.
Rooted in the Gospel values and inspired by the Ignatian charism of forming men and women for others, St. Xavier's University, Kolkata begins its journey in the historically tested tradition of excellence. It is an educational endeavor that accommodates more scope offered to greater number of students.
Why Choose St. Xavier's University?
- St. Xavier's University, Kolkata (SXUK) is the harvest of 500 years of the historic tradition of Jesuit Education.
- It is a part of the largest global Jesuit educational network today.
- It is history with many stories, and one fire with many sparks.
- It forms men and women for others.
- It is where the mind is without fear and the head is held high.
- At SXUK, it is a journey with determination to illuminate one's mind with enduring wisdom.
- It introduces courses that blend knowledge and competence.
- It promotes student-centric learning in a cosmopolitan culture and conducts global exposure
- It provides state of the art facilities.
- The motto of the University 'Nihil Ultra', meaning 'Nothing Beyond', is the guiding impulse for all Xaverian endeavours.
- In the spirit of 'Magis', SXUK renders 'greater service to greater number of people for the greater glory of God' (AMDG).